2015 – 2017 Fundraising Campaign
Thanks to a dedicated Board of Directors and the generosity of our members and community the Door County Historical Society has successfully worked to preserve and celebrate our interesting local history for 86 years. 2014 was another outstanding year for the Society. Some of our major accomplishments this year include:
1. Hosted 8 monthly Society member meetings including interesting programs about our history. Average attendance is about 70 per month.
2. In partnership with Peninsula State Park celebrated 50 years of preserving and hosting public tours of the historic Eagle Bluff Lighthouse. Attendance this year totaled 15,228.
3. Eagle Bluff was named Lighthouse of the Year by the Great Lakes Lighthouse Association.
4. Celebrated a banner year of hosting public tours to our Heritage Village at Big Creek. Thanks to our wonderful volunteers and docents, our accomplishments at the Village in 2014 include:
• Sponsored 16 weekly historic programs at the Village on Sundays in addition to 3 programs on Thursday evening. Special children’s programs were provided every Tuesday and Wednesday during the season. Attendance at the tours and programs totaled 3,456 this year. An increase of 1,434 people over 2013!
• Participated in the 2 day City-wide Rummage Sale to raise over $400.
• Painted the Greene Store, both inside and out, reconfigured to allow better visibility and access to view items, and added more merchandise for sale, increasing our sales by over $1,400 over previous year.
• Erected a sign on the Highway 42-57 corridor to better inform people of the Village and Hanson House locations.
• In fall, hosted 3 Learning in Retirement Programs which were each filled to capacity.
• Partnered with Crossroads at Big Creek to share facilities and programming.
• In partnership with the Madden family, are reconstructing a log barn in the Heritage Village that, when completed in 2015, will display the extensive Madden family hand tool collection and provide another area for programs and research. Over 350 volunteer hours have already been invested by our volunteers along with mentoring and partnering with two youth groups for hands-on learning experiences.
• Restoration of the historic Hanson House, an authentic Norwegian settler’s home. Over $100,000 was raised and invested in this project but there is more to be done if we want to save the barn.
5. Continued to fund staff support for the official Door County Archives.
We Need Your Help to Sustain the Organization
While we enjoyed great success in 2014, the Door County Historical Society finds itself at a major crossroads in our history. We are losing to retirement 6 veteran board members including our venerable President, George Evenson. George has dedicated over 20 years to our organization, at least16 as President. He and the other retiring Board members are very deserving of a break and we thank them and wish them the best. But of course this leaves a vacuum in our leadership structure. We are thankful for the new leadership that is stepping up and to the new broad members that will be joining the Board. The new Board and leadership are mostly still in the workforce and do not have as much time to dedicate to the Society.
The Board believes now is the time to create a full-time professional Executive Director position so the organization can continue to flourish and successfully address our mission to preserve and celebrate our local history. We also have some other significant building maintenance projects at the Heritage Village that need to be addressed. For these reasons the Board of Directors has set a goal of raising $50,000 per year for the next three years. Your Historical Society needs you at this critical time. Please complete the financial pledge form to show your continued support. Thank you very much!
Door County Historical Society
2015 to 2017 Financial Pledge Form
Annual Pledge Commitment: (check one)
Up to $500___________ $1,000____________ $2,500___________ $5,000___________
Pledge Term: (check one)
One year___________ Two Years__________ Three years___________
Send to: Door County Historical Society, PO Box 71, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235
Email: email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org
We will invoice you at the end of each year. Thank You Very Much!!
The Door County Historical Society is a charitable organization under IRS 501(c)3 and therefore your donation is tax deductible. Please consult your tax advisor.