Position Description: Executive Director (full time)
Reports to: Door County Historical Society Board of Directors
Function: • Implements the strategic goals and objectives of the Door County Historical Society
• With the President, enables the Board to fulfill its governance function
• Gives direction and leadership toward the achievement of the Mission
Accountabilities: • Board Administration and Support — Supports operation and administration of the Board (as a non-voting Board member) by advising and informing Board members and acting as an appropriate liaison between Board, staff and volunteers.
• Programming and Service Delivery — Oversees creation, maintenance, promotion, delivery and quality of DCHS programs and services. Special attention will be given to creating and delivering programs suitable for adults and school-aged youth.
• Financial and Facilities Management — Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages the Society’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
• Human Resource Management — Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to current laws and regulations
• Community and Public Relations – Assures that the Door County Historical Society and its mission, programs and services are consistently presented in strong, positive manner to relevant stakeholders
• Development and Fundraising– Oversees development & fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach potential donors, submitting proposals and administrating development records and documentation. In addition, seeks funding to support vision, which may include grants, awards, sponsorships, revenues, donations, and in-kind collaborations
• Other responsibilities assigned by the Board of Directors
Skills and Abilities:
Requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent. Individual must possess strong written and verbal communication skills and be highly organized. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and Outlook. Must have knowledge of social media or willingness to learn. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Individual must be open to wearing period clothing.
• Ability to have effective working relationships with Board, staff, volunteers, and visitors
• Ability to use computer and telephone services to dispense information
• Ability to walk or stand for an hour or more at a time and lift up to 25 pounds as necessary
• Ability to have a flexible work schedule which includes working weekends during the summer and some evenings throughout the year